Neighborhood Narratives Tokyo

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Imagining Places

This documentary made me think a lot about geographical space, the relations between people in communities and how people find “the” place they belong to. In fact, I think that is a question that all life, humans are going to ask themselves and are going to look for answers. The topic was very interesting but there were some ambiguous feelings that came out.
Why do people think that America is the best place to go? Is it really more livable than other countries? What is the American dream? I'd like to go to the States and figure out what is so attractive about it.
Personally, I think that it is the influence of the media, products, singers, movies, food and so on…I have the impression that the world has unconsciously been Americanized. I do not think it is a bad thing though, because I also do like burgers, coca-cola and too sweet cakes. If I do not eat McDonalds I get frustrated but this fact does not explain why people want to live in America… There was a Japanese woman on the documentary, saying that she left Japan to start her life again because in Japan there was a lack of communication, understanding and people were not open-minded. Then, she said that she felt a bit of loneliness in the U.S. So, my question was: “Why did you go there? And what were you expecting from there?"
I think that being anywhere in the world, it is difficult to find a real place where you can be yourself and feel comfortable. The various emotions that we have like loneliness, happiness, anger, sadness will always surround us and we will always have to deal with it. Of course, there are places that we feel closer to but I think that if you cannot find it where you are now located, it could be harder to find it in a foreign land where you have to build all again.
America should be a nice place to live but I do not feel much attraction to it. I think that it is a huge country where there should be many opportunities but the country should have its own problems like in every other country.
However, among the several things that I like about the States, my favorite television shows are “American Idols” and “Are you hot?” Japan do not create shows like that, so every Saturdays, I run home to watch it!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Depressed said...

I absolutely agree with you about your comments of America. Its the dream of people just to move to America; they dont think what are they going to do there...they just want to go there.
I myself has come from Pakistan. I have spend my whole life in Pakistan and now for the last 3-4 months i have moved to this place. A few problems which i face here is inflation. Everything is far expensive if i compare it with my country. Another problem which is face is i cant work here due to visa restrictions. I got married to a guy whose dream is to live in this country and my parents have thrown me here... I cant study here because studies are very expensive here. There in Pakistan I used to work and also study and I was earning quite much in which i could live a pretty good life.
I just cant understand what to do now.. i am dam pregnant...dont understand what to do.. either get the abortion and leave this guy.. or stay in this hell forever.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home